Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2.0T  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2.0T
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:28:23 am »

The Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2.0T is really quite nice.

Read More...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2.0T
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:31 am »
The shoulders on the front fenders ?

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:28:52 am »

Yeah, where the front fenders cut in aggressively and form a little ridge before the hood starts it's raise again. Like shoulders.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:32 am »

Wait, how did you even see that line? You reading articles again?  :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:30:27 am »
Just the first page

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:10:24 am »
the slight design change to the front end  makes quite a difference. Interior is much nicer than a Camry....what the H, the whole car is much nicer than a Camry. :rofl:

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:42:58 am »

What there's an article?

I sat in a Malibu not that long ago but I just wasn't impressed with interior. I'm not sold on the design and I know that people say positive things about it, but the materials looked more expensive than they felt. I don't know, maybe I was just in a bad mood that day but the materials didn't feel like they would last.

Mistake in the article:

"The EPA says I should have scored 7.8 L/100 km in the city and 11.2 L/100 km in the city"

thanks,

all fixed up.

i'm with you on the interior - i liked the first impression made by the Malibu's interior, but it doesn't hold up under close inspection, and doesn't feel like it will age well... they just seem brittle and like they will warp and pull away from various parts, or start rattling around.

and we have this car again this week, part of a wider comparison - we need to narrow the field for upcoming new metal in the segment like the 200, Sonata...

I think I prefer Camry though...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:21 am »

What there's an article?

I sat in a Malibu not that long ago but I just wasn't impressed with interior. I'm not sold on the design and I know that people say positive things about it, but the materials looked more expensive than they felt. I don't know, maybe I was just in a bad mood that day but the materials didn't feel like they would last.

Mistake in the article:

"The EPA says I should have scored 7.8 L/100 km in the city and 11.2 L/100 km in the city"

thanks,

all fixed up.

i'm with you on the interior - i liked the first impression made by the Malibu's interior, but it doesn't hold up under close inspection, and doesn't feel like it will age well... they just seem brittle and like they will warp and pull away from various parts, or start rattling around.

and we have this car again this week, part of a wider comparison - we need to narrow the field for upcoming new metal in the segment like the 200, Sonata...

No you don't... :hurl:

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:11:04 am »
Just one look at the interior in the article would make me stay away from the real thing.  Camaro-like squarish pods for speedo/tach are hideous.  And fake wood grain inserts they ripped off a 70's station wagon.   :hurl:  If I got this as a rental, I would be asking for something else!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:37 am »
The character lines down the body are subtle but work well, though the tick-up at the rear makes the greenhouse seem much smaller than it is and the C pillar is not conducive to rearward visibility.
When buying a car, if I notice something like this, it's fatal to my considering the vehicle.  I fought my parents on it when they got the RX, but it wasn't my car so I didn't get the final say.  Outward visibility is supremely important in a vehicle, and that's why I applaud Subaru for maintaining high vis even at the expense of exterior styling.
Interior is much nicer than a Camry....what the H, the whole car is much nicer than a Camry. :rofl:
What's that? 
There is also a 111 kg difference in curb weights between the base Malibu (1,571 kg) and the loaded LTZ with the 2.0L turbo which weighs in at 1,682 kg.
OINK! (nothing against the Malibu - just against Fixer's trolling)
I used it for my wallet, my phone and a bag of Sour Patch Kids, which I ate on the QEW between the Erin Mills Parkway and Winston Churchill Boulevard – I like Sour Patch Kids a lot.
Jacob, it's lines like these that I really enjoy in your writing - they show your personality, add a bit of fun, and yank on the proverbial emotional chain.  Keep up the great work!  Oh, and yes, that little cubby is actually a great feature since thieves can break into your locked glovebox, but not behind that screen quite so easily.  Let's just hope the motor never breaks or you're gonna have a bad time.
The cargo-space is compromised slightly by the idiot-proof “no-crush” boot struts
I don't understand how the 'scissor' struts are offered on the economical Mazda3 and yet 'premium' cars (including those from Lexus, BMW, etc) have those giant swing arms.  Can it really cost that much more?!  Maybe Chevy keeps this set-up so that the Malibu doesn't proliferate into the Taxi industry as much as the Camry has (edit: yes, I realize the Camry has a similar set-up).  Good planning ;D

As a final note, this car just seems very 'Murican! - as a Canadian, it doesn't suit my tastes.  Sounds like a very nice vehicle; just not for me.  I'd probably nab an Accord in this class (except the 100% fold down rear seat is a killer)...I'm not a fan of any of the others (again, not my class of vehicle).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:44:02 am by NoTo »

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 10:36:31 am »
Just curious to know regarding changing the headlight bulbs on this car. The 2008 to 2012 Malibu required the front bumper to be removed to replace headlight bulbs (MOST RIDICULOUS DESIGN EVER). Is this still the case for this model? Hopefully it's still not like that, it should not cost someone over $100 in labour charges to have a mechanic change headlight bulbs.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:38:56 am by overtakeyouintheleftlane »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 11:06:07 am »
It swallowed miles without fuss or excessive thirst and had us both feeling comfortable even as we pulled up to the hotel.

So why a rating of 3.5/5 on comfort?  What are you looking for?  Its one of the quietest vehicles in its class, it soaks up the bumps well, decent amount of room... I miss my 1997 Malibu...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:04 am »
My Malibu didn't have any shoulders, but it didn't have any blind spots either!  The 3.1L V6 was great! 

Northernridge

Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 2.0T
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:17:00 am »
Haven't heard too much about the Malibu in a while (auto journalism coverage). Competes in a tough segment...wonder how sales are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 11:30:20 am »
Haven't heard too much about the Malibu in a while (auto journalism coverage). Competes in a tough segment...wonder how sales are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Now free...and worth it (which means valueless).

Better than ever in the USA, and worst than ever in Canada...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:58 am »
Better than ever in the USA, and worst than ever in Canada...
'MURICA!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 04:47:15 pm »
I used it for my wallet, my phone and a bag of Sour Patch Kids, which I ate on the QEW between the Erin Mills Parkway and Winston Churchill Boulevard – I like Sour Patch Kids a lot.
Jacob, it's lines like these that I really enjoy in your writing - they show your personality, add a bit of fun, and yank on the proverbial emotional chain.  Keep up the great work! 

Cheers mate!
Thank you!

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 05:56:05 pm »

What there's an article?

Mistake in the article:

thanks,

all fixed up.

No you don't... :hurl:

yeah you're kinda' right, I did like the Malibu a bit better overall. it has a sweet engine, the best of the 2.0Ts in the segment, and the ride is mostly a nice, supple ride, and it is pretty darn good for highway cruising. I wasn't a big fan of the seats though, or much else about the interior...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:03 am »
a decent mobile that is a little vanilla but the whole segment demands that. My customers who have them like them a lot. I even have an old man who tuned his because he doesn't like getting passed by anything. Told him to get a camaro but he said he wants to fly under the radar while going light speed. Mission accomplished.

it really is decently made, especially compared to the Fusion. That thing really is surprisingly flimsy. Had one for a couple of days, the hood stick, not a strut as in he Malibu, broke away in my hand! Honest truth. No way to hold hood up, had to jimmy it. Also the trunk was badly out of alignment and didn't shut half the time, plus it was a stupid opening that made me repeatedly hit my head. Gorgeous car but some things puzzled me.

Wish the Malibu was more stylish, really bland compared to some others in the segment. Good engine though.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 09:24:21 am »
a decent mobile that is a little vanilla but the whole segment demands that. My customers who have them like them a lot. I even have an old man who tuned his because he doesn't like getting passed by anything. Told him to get a camaro but he said he wants to fly under the radar while going light speed. Mission accomplished.

it really is decently made, especially compared to the Fusion. That thing really is surprisingly flimsy. Had one for a couple of days, the hood stick, not a strut as in he Malibu, broke away in my hand! Honest truth. No way to hold hood up, had to jimmy it. Also the trunk was badly out of alignment and didn't shut half the time, plus it was a stupid opening that made me repeatedly hit my head. Gorgeous car but some things puzzled me.

Wish the Malibu was more stylish, really bland compared to some others in the segment. Good engine though.

The hood struts are really no better. As they age they lose there pressure and ones head or other body parts can suffer.
The stick shouldn't snap off in your hands either. You shouldn't be so rough on it just because it's a Ford. ;)
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata