Author Topic: Top Picks: Used Serious Sedans  (Read 30415 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Top Picks: Used Serious Sedans
« on: January 28, 2014, 06:27:32 am »

A look at some serious sedans for serious guys (and gals).

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Top Picks: Used Serious Sedans
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:04 am »
Let me stick in a mention of the Suzuki Kizashi here.  Not as powerful but a very well honed driving tool and a screaming bargain now that Suzuki has pulled out of the market.  Probably as reliable or more so as anything on this list.  More a scalpel than a hammer and a very pleasant place to spend time.  Get a great one for ~ $16k more or less.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:49 am »
If I was shopping for a 'serious' 4 door sedan, it would be a CPO Lexus IS-F.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 08:50:18 am »
If the article was value vehicles, then put the Suzuki in there.  But all these cars (if I remember correctly have 240hp+) with some being manual, and others being RWD.  I agree the Accord is a bit of a stretch, maybe they wanted to through an import in, I think a Maxima would have been a bit better....

My favourite from the list is the CTS-V, which doesn't seem to have many issues after 2007.  But I remember reading the used CTS review, the praise wasn't as high, it seems the 2nd generation is holding up quite well.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:52:32 am »
I had to laugh when I came across the Accord. At least you didn't include the Camry.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 08:59:36 am »
Yep, the Accord does not belong and that generation was the worst looking Accord IMO.

My pick out of these would be either a uber rare G8 GXP or the CTS-V.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:32 am »
Unfortunately the GXP was never sold in Canada.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:40 am »
good list for sure, and no, the Accord does not belong on that list at all. Nobody would take you serious in that car, there would be no knowing nod at the lights from a G8 GT owner, for instance.

Marauder is so boss it is not even funny.

Additions I would make to this "big bruiser sedan with lots of power" list:

Audi S6 with the V10(!)
Audi RS6 with the TT V8 - such imposing presence it makes you run out of its way...
Merc E63?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 09:07:43 am »
Scary proposition to own a 10+ yr old M car, but that E39 M5 would be my favorite sedan to put in my driveway today.    Just seems like the perfect combination of engine, styling,  transmission, RWD.

For something more sensible...I suppose I would take the IS-F, but the lack of a manual makes it much less desirable to me.   Very unique sedan still.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 09:18:56 am »
Scary proposition to own a 10+ yr old M car, but that E39 M5 would be my favorite sedan to put in my driveway today.    Just seems like the perfect combination of engine, styling,  transmission, RWD.

For something more sensible...I suppose I would take the IS-F, but the lack of a manual makes it much less desirable to me.   Very unique sedan still.

why would you be scared of it? The money you save vs a newer one is huge, and that money can go into repairs - IF they come up. I wouldn't be scared at all putting a 10 year old car in my driveway. Cost 1/8th the price to buy, and stash the rest in a RRSP or GIC or something for that rainy day when the clutch goes, or the tranny goes pop, etc...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:19 am »
good list.

i can't decide what i would want on that list.  probably not 300,...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 09:22:54 am »

why would you be scared of it? The money you save vs a newer one is huge, and that money can go into repairs - IF they come up. I wouldn't be scared at all putting a 10 year old car in my driveway. Cost 1/8th the price to buy, and stash the rest in a RRSP or GIC or something for that rainy day when the clutch goes, or the tranny goes pop, etc...

Some people simply do not want to deal with the headache, or have time to do so.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 09:27:09 am »

Some people simply do not want to deal with the headache, or have time to do so.

time because you are working so hard? Have family commitments? Bah. ;)

With the money saved buying a used / older car you actually WANT, as opposed to what you can afford, you can have more money in your pocket for possible repairs, or you could take more days off, or take an extra vacation, or contribute more to RRSPs...etc. etc.

predicted reliability is overrated imho - just be smart with your purchase, take care of it, and enjoy life

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:04 am »

True enough.  But I wouldn't be comparing relative to a brand-new M5 as my car budget wouldn't be $100k.  More like $40-50k.   Still doable...I just have a bit of mental block about acquiring a used FGC (especially an M) that's already over a decade old before I even begin to drive it.

I'd feel much more comfortable with ~5 yr old car, right or wrong.   

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:59 am »

I think some of us agree that sure a 13 year old german car, is a real bargain (at $15,000 with a 150k) vs a new one that costs close to $90,000.  But I would rather put that $15,000 towards something a little newer, and probably less costly on parts and maintenance.  It may not have the refinement of the BMW, but since it is newer, probably has more features the old BMW doesn't.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 09:33:34 am »
I would have to pick the 94-96 Impala SS if I had to from this list, just something about a clean one in black.. If you can find one.

If you're going to include something that old, why not the 2nd gen SHO then?  Much rather have that sweet Yamaha V6.  Just find the manual equipped one... You can get one for <1000 bucks but you better be a good mechanic!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 09:34:29 am »
time because you are working so hard? Have family commitments? Bah. ;)

With the money saved buying a used / older car you actually WANT, as opposed to what you can afford, you can have more money in your pocket for possible repairs, or you could take more days off, or take an extra vacation, or contribute more to RRSPs...etc. etc.

predicted reliability is overrated imho - just be smart with your purchase, take care of it, and enjoy life

I definitely agree with your logic.  We bought our 2008 535xi used last year and though it's had a couple expensive bills thus far (scheduled spark plugs and other stuff at 75k km; issue with fuel injectors though parts were covered by BMW due to earlier recall), it's still WELL worth the massive value buying a used FGC offers.

The same budget might have gotten us a brand new RAV4.   

No brainer to me.   Just need to expect some pain$ along the way.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:16 am »

I think some of us agree that sure a 13 year old german car, is a real bargain (at $15,000 with a 150k) vs a new one that costs close to $90,000.  But I would rather put that $15,000 towards something a little newer, and probably less costly on parts and maintenance.  It may not have the refinement of the BMW, but since it is newer, probably has more features the old BMW doesn't.

True, but you also don't need to go for the bigdog M5.  Something like a plain jane 5 series, E, A6, etc will still be a great value and the potential repair bills, though still high, will likely not be "M priced".

Offline bensonc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Venza AWD
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:38 am »
This is my dad serious sedan, S600L, lowered and de-cat, 19" AMG wheel

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:02 am »
With high po used cars, especially of German origin, padding an extra 5 or 10 for unexpected repairs etc. is probably smart. They're still great value though IMO if you appreciate the FGC thing.

The Accord on this list is silly. Could have at least chosen a GS430/460. And throw in the W211 E500/550 on that list too.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!