Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Avalon  (Read 18507 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Avalon
« on: January 07, 2014, 06:30:37 am »

Toyota has made huge changes to its senior-citizen-moving-vessel Avalon, and has made it a desirable large sedan.

Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Avalon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:39 am »
The car is more attractive than Corolla/Camry IMO...Toyota changes the demography of it's customer when Honda struggles.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:21:23 am »
Very good looking car now and sure to attract a lot more interest. Lexus ES350 will be the biggest competition I suspect.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:23:03 am »
Huge improvement in styling over the previous generation.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:17 am »
The whale shark mouth strikes again.

Ooh, and touch sensitive controls!   :-X

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:01:58 am »
To the extent that autos'ca, it's advertisers and it's owners would like the patronage of well-to-do older Canadian car shoppers, this is a hopelessly derogatory and pathetic article. Imagine taking the same tone with any other vocal minority. The review of the car is fine enough but squaring off against seniors is amateurish.

Hey wealthy Canadian seniors with immense buying power and allure for advertisers, this is not the place for you to look for information on cars.

Hey autos.ca, try harder.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 10:54:11 am »
There’s normal drive mode, Sport mode and an ECO mode which makes this car simply hemorrhoidal to drive because everything gets overwhelmingly syrupy.

I think this line needs a rewrite.

I don't have an issue with the opinions, just the phrasing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:48:08 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 10:59:50 am »
Worst line in a car review ever

If you want to wax poetic, please write fiction and leave it out of the car reviews.

There’s normal drive mode, Sport mode and an ECO mode which makes this car simply hemorrhoidal to drive because everything gets overwhelmingly syrupy.

Needs rewrite.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:33 am »
What would you guys prefer? That Tom had written:
"Toyota's new Avalon has an engine with three modes. It was previously bought mostly by retirees, and Toyota has tried to change that with new styling and new features. It is a very good car. This one is brown. The end."?

Tom brings some good insights, some humour and a little bit of flare to his reviews. He also has added context, in this case very valid context about the intended market, and the actual market for this car.

As his editor, I support him. 

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:12:15 am »

I test drove the car. In Normal/Eco mode, the steering is vague in spirited cornering but in Sport mode, it is acceptable if not exactly sporty providing sufficient feedback to know what's going on at the contact patch. It's no bimmer, but I disagree with the choice of words by the author.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:13:45 am »
"Toyota's new Avalon has an engine with three modes. It was previously bought mostly by retirees, and Toyota has tried to change that with new styling and new features. It is a very good car. This one is brown. The end."?

Tom brings some good insights, some humour and a little bit of flare to his reviews. He also has added context, in this case very valid context about the intended market, and the actual market for this car.

Wait a few years and re-read it from another person's perspective. Humour it is not.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 11:19:03 am »
To the extent that autos'ca, it's advertisers and it's owners would like the patronage of well-to-do older Canadian car shoppers, this is a hopelessly derogatory and pathetic article. Imagine taking the same tone with any other vocal minority. The review of the car is fine enough but squaring off against seniors is amateurish.

Hey wealthy Canadian seniors with immense buying power and allure for advertisers, this is not the place for you to look for information on cars.

Hey autos.ca, try harder.

Ouch. Hopelessly derogatory, pathetic and amateurish. That's pretty all-encompassing. I went back and re-read my "squaring off against seniors" rant. The only ageist references I made was that the Avalon emulates your grandfather's Buick and the diaper/mushroom huntin' crack. I wouldn't exactly call that squaring off against a minority, but each to his own, I suppose. Sorry if you took offense to those references.

The median age of Toyota Avalon drivers is 67. There's no denying that older people have been the key buyers for this model, and Toyota is clearly trying to reduce that median age by a few years.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:23:10 am »
Had a hard New Year's Eve people? I found the review quite decent - informative and, at times, humourous. Kudos to Toyota for offering a car to a specific segment (neither I or the author are in the segment), at a very reasonable price without the need to play the ludicrous options game. This car checks all the boxes for buyers in this specific luxury car segment. I think paddle shifters manual mode is a great feature. Some manual control of the transmission is very useful over and above simply to pretend you or the car are sporty.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 11:28:03 am »
Haha! I didn't catch that somebody would also relate my "hemorrhoidal" joke as a slight on our beloved seniors. 100% not how it was intended. It was intended to relay a pain-in-the-a$$ sensation of driving a car whose throttle response has become so syrupy that it's no longer enjoyable to drive - for me.

Just to clarify where I was going with that - now if you don't like the wording, that's a different story altogether. Although I wouldn't accuse someone of using the word "hemorrhoidal" of waxing poetic.  ;)

Regardless, thanks for the feedback, people. I appreciate it, good or bad. Just please don't take my review as an attack or squaring off against our seniors. It was never that.

Have a great day and keep your stick on the ice.

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »

I'd prefer a modicum of thought and respect for the people who actually might buy the cars that you review. This is a (the?) major problem with autos.ca reviews. The journalists tend to review the car exclusively from their own personal frequency and make little effort to even contemplate the automotive needs of someone different than themselves.

I understand that it can be a stretch to write a review for someone from a different demographic, but you can avoid being condescending.

This issue (obvious disconnect with actual buyers) appears most frequently in truck and expensive (esp. luxury) car reviews.

And Jacob, do you really think that older car buyers shopping for a new sedan who end up reading today's Avalon review on autos.ca will feel understood and well-served?

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
Is this certain folks' first time on the internet?  I think you're being dramatic.  Everyone gets picked on  :P Next time a 'bro' truck gets made fun of, I think the young here should all get up in arms.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:10:04 pm by WRX_Pilot »

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »
I'm a senior and I was a bit ticked off at the diaper reference.  I may be over 65, but I'm in better shape and health than many if not most people half my age.  How many 33 year olds can cycle for several hours and cover 80 kms. of hilly and rough terrain that one wouldn't take a SUV over or Xcountry ski for four hours or more without stopping.  I thought so.  You see, age is only a number.  And for the record, I wouldn't buy a Camry let alone an Avalon.  There are so many better handlng and steering cars out there. Once you go European, you'll never go back, except maybe to a Mazda in a $$ crunch.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:08:47 pm »
I'm a senior and I was a bit ticked off at the diaper reference.  I may be over 65, but I'm in better shape and health than many if not most people half my age.  How many 33 year olds can cycle for several hours and cover 80 kms. of hilly and rough terrain that one wouldn't take a SUV over or Xcountry ski for four hours or more without stopping.  I thought so.  You see, age is only a number.  And for the record, I wouldn't buy a Camry let alone an Avalon.  There are so many better handlng and steering cars out there. Once you go European, you'll never go back, except maybe to a Mazda in a $$ crunch.

:fiver: Well said. Plus we older folk have all the money so  :P to the punks  ;D

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:36 pm »
Perhaps I made a mistake reading these comments before reading the actual article. But if it wasn't for this reaction I wouldn't have read the article at all.

My take: the "diaper" reference is offensive and unnecessary. But it is the topper to an article that is all wrong in tone to begin with. A car like the Avalon needs to be reviewed in the context of its target market. This author reviews it like the standard of the world is a Mazda 3 and everything else needs to be measured against that. Having a smooth ride is not a bad thing for many. A bit of brake nosedive and lean in corners is an acceptable trade-off for them. They don't care about paddle shifters. But the entire article has an attitude that is derogatory to anyone who might like this type of car. It is oddly written too; much of it seems like the author sat in the car with a notepad, looked around, and made a list of things that caught his eye. There is no rhythm, no theme (other than the sour tone towards the potential buyer), nothing clever or engaging that I would expect from a professional writer.

It really does get tiresome around here whenever a car comes along that doesn't fit the preconceptions of the editors.

The unfortunate response of Mr. Black perhaps is indicative of the relative immaturity of the editors here now.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:35:57 pm »
As one of those 'well to do older Canadians'  I didn't read the article until this thread got to this point.  Why not?  Everybody ( i.e me) just knows that the Avalon, like the Camry is an old man's car and I am not into buying an old mans car yet ( if ever).    So I read it just now and I didn't find anything to offend me... but I still would not consider buying the Avalon.

But I do see Oldsguy, JRM and NorthernRidge's point, no need for cracks about seniors or anyone else in a car review.   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.