Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel  (Read 12382 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:29:51 am »

The first affordable diesel car from GM in 27 years offers impressive performance and fuel economy but the engine's a bit noisy.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:31:34 am »
IIRC diesel exhaust fluid freezes at about -7C.    I want to know what happens when a Cruze diesel is left for a weekend on the prairies at -35C.   Does the DEF tank rupture? or is it expandable soft plastic?    Is there a  auxiliary tank that can be heated quickly to clean the exhaust in those first minutes of cold running?

Inquiring minds...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 07:38:06 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:49:55 am »
My head was spinning after the first page of numbers: mpg vs L/100 km., Imperial vs US gallon, NRC vs EPA, city/highway/combined, optimistic estimates vs real life, boxers vs briefs. Sometimes following the KISS rule can work just fine. In any event kudos to GM for bringing this gem to NA. Is it a more sensible buying purchase than a Cruze Eco for $4000 less? Probably not. Should we have expected somewhat better fuel economy? Probably so. Could we have hoped for a manual transmission? We did.

The significance of this vehicle will hopefully be that it provides meaningful competition to VW and may indeed cause other manufacturers to consider multiple vehicle offerings with the diesel option (sorry Mazda - we're sick of waiting for you to meet the regulations).

Regarding the diesel clatter, I, for one, would wear this badge proudly. Eliminating all signs it is a diesel motor would essentially null the character defining attributes of this excellent powertrain option. Now, GM, let's see if the 2.0L turbodiesel can be added to a wide variety of other offerings - Malibu, Impala, Equinox, Trax, Corvette  ;)

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:03:18 am »
GM's mainstream offerings have always left me underwhelmed.  The one exception is the Cruze.
If you recall the compact comparison from May 2012, the Cruze won (and GM slappies jaws dropped onto their keyboards), I was part of that comparison, and picked the Cruze #1.  The interior, fabric dash and all, the ride/handing balance and quality feel are all nailed.

My only real complaint of that car was it felt slightly underpowered (1.4T), the diesel addresses that issue and then some.  I love that little diesel, clatter and all.  The torque is simply addictive.
I didn't find it overly noisy inside, you can hear the engine working, but I like being able to hear the engine doing it's thing.

I also took part in a recent and soon to be published mega compact comparison... take a guess at which was my # 1 pick.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:27:09 am »
when Graeme Fletcher tested the Cruze diesel on MotoringTV a couple of months ago, he loved it too.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:08 am »
I applaud GM on re introducing a diesel to the N/A passenger market. Surprised on the interior quality as it dramatically supersedes it's exterior.
The big fail for me is city mpg and the fact an exhaust additive is required to meet new emissions standards unlike competitors like VW.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 09:44:06 am »
Nothing against diesels (Where are you '86 Turbo diesel Jetta?) but for me what would make the most sense is the Cruze Eco in manual. Cheaper out the door and better suited to my driving (less than 20,000 km/year).

We used to put furnace oil in the diesel. Is that now prohibited? If so, how would you get caught?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 10:12:07 am »
Nothing against diesels (Where are you '86 Turbo diesel Jetta?) but for me what would make the most sense is the Cruze Eco in manual. Cheaper out the door and better suited to my driving (less than 20,000 km/year).

We used to put furnace oil in the diesel. Is that now prohibited? If so, how would you get caught?
you can't run that stuff on new Clean Diesel engines...this isn't the 80s any more.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 11:07:18 am »

you can't run that stuff on new Clean Diesel engines...this isn't the 80s any more.

Yeah, the older engines would run on anything, lamp oil, cooking oil....these new one are very picky.

IIRC diesel exhaust fluid freezes at about -7C.    I want to know what happens when a Cruze diesel is left for a weekend on the prairies at -35C.   Does the DEF tank rupture? or is it expandable soft plastic?    Is there a  auxiliary tank that can be heated quickly to clean the exhaust in those first minutes of cold running?

Inquiring minds...

All my buddies have the horse/pig pee tank on their trucks....no problems with freezing yet.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:08 am »
The tanks are designed to allow the fluid to freeze. On start up, the fluid is heated. In order to meet EPA standards, the fluid has to be available within a pretty short period of time.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 12:42:01 pm »

If you could run this in your car furnace diesel is dyed. But I doubt cops check passenger cars for dyed diesel if you're not in the rural area or coming/going from a bona fide farm operation.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
Some reviews say the transmission is slow and unresponsive while this one says it does a fine job?  So which is it?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 02:02:42 pm »
The tanks are designed to allow the fluid to freeze. On start up, the fluid is heated. In order to meet EPA standards, the fluid has to be available within a pretty short period of time.
I figured it had to have something like that.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 03:39:13 pm »
The significance of this vehicle will hopefully be that it provides meaningful competition to VW and may indeed cause other manufacturers to consider multiple vehicle offerings with the diesel option (sorry Mazda - we're sick of waiting for you to meet the regulations).

:iagree:  Unfortunately, when it fails to sell well, others will not follow-suit.

VW already started a new niche and that accordingly started the other manufacturers to consider diesel.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:25:04 pm »
I think it would sell a lot better if the diesel were available in the mid level trim package.  I think the price (compared to other Cruze versions) will keep people from even looking at it.  Then GM will cancel it and give the usual BS ..." there just isn't a North American market for diesels.  "

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »

Can it be heated? with the block heater?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 05:09:06 pm »

I'm sure you could rig something up to heat it.  But I wouldn't bother as the built in heater will warm it up fairly quickly after the engine starts.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »

I'm sure you could rig something up to heat it.  But I wouldn't bother as the built in heater will warm it up fairly quickly after the engine starts.

It's some kind of composite tank. Like you said, someone could rig something up, but I wouldn't bother with it. It doesn't take much fluid to treat the exhaust, so there's not much point in keeping the whole volume as a liquid.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 07:58:10 pm »
I like the look of the Cruze and thought the 1.4T I drove a couple years ago had good power.  The diesel would be on the radar for my next car if my drive to work was longer than 4.7 km.  :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »
We tested commercial diesel engines with DEF below -40C in Northern Quebec with no issue, and yes some were left outside overnight.  For the fuel, these engines need Ultra low sulphur fuel, otherwise the diesel particulate filters (DPF) will plug up with a tank. Ultra Low sulphur is all you can find at the pump these days. I have no idea if furnace oil is Ultra low Suphur these days.

Don't ask me why I know..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:00:29 pm by Guy »