Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid  (Read 5512 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:29:03 am »

Comfortable, capable, and impressively efficient, Honda's newest, greenest Accord joins Ford's Fusion Energi in trying to plug into mainstream market acceptance.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:23 am »
It's great to see Honda finally shifting to a Toyota-like hybrid system which allows electric only operation.  This was the killer with the Insight - it simply couldn't compete with the Prius.

I hope this system works its way down into the Civic and Fit ASAP.  That should put a bit of moisture on Toyota's upper lip.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:44:03 am »
I like that the article included some calculations regarding fuel savings vs upfront additional costs. Seems like (as appears to be the case for most hybrids) the primary benefit of buying one is so you can feel good about being "green".
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:38 am »
In terms of cost, the article does not include rebates, maintenance, re-sale value or increasing fuel costs going forward.

Simply knowing that I don't have to go in for brakes - until 400k - is enough to justify a hybrid for me personally.  Add in the benefit of not feeling stupid grinding up pads, discs and fuel in heavy traffic and that adds up to a solid business case.

If it was possible for drivers to plug the Honda in at work, then most people would get by on pure electric.   I wonder when parking garages will start to add in charge outlets as part of their services.  I bet the first ones would see pretty hefty margins.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:01 am »
Why that nasty un-Honda looking grill?  Looks Camry-ish.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:46:22 am »
I like that the article included some calculations regarding fuel savings vs upfront additional costs. Seems like (as appears to be the case for most hybrids) the primary benefit of buying one is so you can feel good about being "green".

Why do so many assume the only reason someone would buy a hybrid is to portray a 'green image' or assuage guilt?  Can't it be an unselfish decision to want to drive something less polluting?  Perhaps it makes others feel guilty about their choices.  Not picking on you, just saying I hear this argument everywhere.

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:03 am »
I agree with this - it's not always a straightforward money calculation.  If one can burn thousands of litres less over the lifetime of the car, it would be worth it to a lot of people who can afford it.

Of course, one can buy a gas hog fun car, then cycle to work, and you'll burn even less fuel  ;D

Why do so many assume the only reason someone would buy a hybrid is to portray a 'green image' or assuage guilt?  Can't it be an unselfish decision to want to drive something less polluting?  Perhaps it makes others feel guilty about their choices.  Not picking on you, just saying I hear this argument everywhere.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:48 am »
Has anyone consider the amount of pollution that is involved with the manufacturing of the toxic batteries?? And shipping raw materials all around the globe for the battery production with diesel burning ocean transports ?  Hybrids are good for the "green image" without truly being good for the environment...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:13:58 am »
Has anyone consider the amount of pollution that is involved with the manufacturing of the toxic batteries?? And shipping raw materials all around the globe for the battery production with diesel burning ocean transports ?  Hybrids are good for the "green image" without truly being good for the environment...

Not nice clean low sulphur diesel either. Bunker C ( which is going to be phased out) is not  a lot better than raw oil sands bitumen.  Some of the more modern ships use fuel that is recognizable as diesel.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:20:58 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:24:25 pm »

Not nice clean low sulphur diesel either. Bunker C ( which is going to be phased out) is not  a lot better than raw oil sands bitumen.  Some of the more modern ships use fuel that is recognizable as diesel.

Because oil isn't shipped in tankers also? Reduce the amount of gasoline/diesel used to power cars and you reduce the amount of bunker that needs to be shipped to refineries, the energy the refineries need for the process and the amount of energy required for distribution.

Batteries are recycled, they aren't just used once and discarded.

If you consider the added impact of mining on the production of hybrids or EVs, you also have to go back to the well-head for cars consuming diesel and gasoline. All things considered, hybrids and EVs are better for the environment than a gasoline/diesel powered fleet alone.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:09:33 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:47 pm »
I do like the concept of a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle.  Use electricity for the daily commute, and the engine only kicks in when it needs to.  And long distance trips are still possible.
The only challenge is the encroachment on space which affects how useable the vehicle can be.

I commute 8 km to work each way (32 km in a day since I go home for lunch).  I can plug in the vehicle at work, so something like this is ideal as a daily driver for me.  Of course, I am sure heating in the winter and cooling in the summer is going affect the range in a big way.  What's it going to be like at -30 or -40?

Wonder if they could do something like this in a Odyssey, but hide the batteries under the floor or something?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:07:26 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:59 pm »
I totally get the "green" aspect of the hybrids and the EV cars.
I would be happy with one of them as my daily commute car. Problem is, I can't afford 3 cars (wife has one too), because I want to have my fun as much as I care for the environment. And Tesla is still a few  ::) $$ over my budget. So I'll let the early adopters hash it out with the manufacturers.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:22:22 pm »
Wheels aside, a great job by Honda. It's not entirely fair just to compute the amount of gas you can buy by purchasing a regular Accord. Resale value is certainly going to be substantially higher than the gasoline only Accord. I'd like to see Honda incorporate the lighter aluminum parts into the regular cars as well as the plug in Hybrid. And do something about those wheels!

Offline PRNDL0L

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Volvo 242 > Olds Cutlass Int > Saturn SL1 > Fusion SEL > Cadillac CTS 3.6 DI
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 08:56:53 pm »
The generic Hyundai-like rear is too vague, and those wheels covers truly look like Crappy Tire :censor:.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:21 am »
It's great to see Honda finally shifting to a Toyota-like hybrid system which allows electric only operation.  This was the killer with the Insight - it simply couldn't compete with the Prius.

Actually this system is closer to GM's Voltec than then Toyota's Synergy drive system.  In Voltec the main traction motor is the primary electric motor just like this system from Honda.  The synergy drive system still has the gas engine as the primary traction motor.

Link below is the non-plugin hybrid but the plugin works the same.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087518_2014-honda-accord-hybrid-has-no-transmission-how-it-works

This is like a bigger Volt with a smaller battery (but is a lot more expensive than a Volt).  Because the battery is smaller the discharge rates from the battery are limited so unlike the Volt the Accord requires the gas engine to come on as a generator to produce electricity for maximum performance. The Cadillac ELR has the same powertrain setup as the Volt but is rumored to have a performance mode that will allow the gas engine to come on to produce even more electrical energy that can be supplied to the main electric traction motor to increase performance over the Volt.

The only other major difference between the Accord and the Volt is the Accord's gas engine can have a direct mechanical link between the gas engine and wheels.  The Volt's gas engine can also be linked to the wheels but this link goes through the smaller electric motor generator.

I will give Honda Kudos's, this is an impressive system with a lot of future potential (while Toyota's synergy drive system potential is nearly tapped out).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:24:35 am by Neromanceres »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »
In terms of cost, the article does not include...re-sale value...
I wonder when parking garages will start to add in charge outlets as part of their services.  I bet the first ones would see pretty hefty margins.

I, occasionally :shuffle:, go to the Goodlife in the Sheppard Centre - they have 2 charging outlets..."compliments of RioCan"
http://www.plugshare.com/?location=10100