Author Topic: Auto Tech: Mazda SkyActiv Technology  (Read 14248 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Mazda SkyActiv Technology
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:03:06 am »

Mazda's SkyActiv is a three-prong technology of engines, transmissions and lightweight chassis to reduce fuel use. Jim Kerr explains how all of these technologies will be used together in upcoming models.

Read More...

Offline bensonc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Venza AWD
Re: Auto Tech: Mazda SkyActiv Technology
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:40:24 am »
Just wonder, with a 14:1 compression engine and tuned exhaust system, will the car going to sound like those exotic sport car??

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:27:35 am »
So, is Mazda just putting a fancy name on something that everyone else is doing (improving engines, transmissions and lightweight chassis) or am I actually missing something noteworthy here?

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:08 am »
So, is Mazda just putting a fancy name on something that everyone else is doing (improving engines, transmissions and lightweight chassis) or am I actually missing something noteworthy here?

I think the 14:1 compression ratio is a industry first?  The higher ratio improves power and efficiency.  Combine that with other "modern improvements" and the benefits stack-up.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:51:32 am »
I think I'm more interested in them bringing over a diesel engine some time in the future.  Mazda has said that they are very much so considering it and I really hope they do.  They would be the only asian car maker with diesel tech in NA.  I would love to have a similar engine as the VW TDI in a Mazda 3, then you might get the reliability and fuel economy.  These new gas engines could be really interesting if they increase the HP and Torque along with improving fuel economy. 

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:59:35 am »
I didn't realize is this engine using higher grade fuel or regular one. As well I'm not clear is this engine with timing belt? Genarally talking my point is how this engine will compete in the real life with Civic's, Corolla's and new Elantra's - all of them known as the better ones in regard of not just fuel efficiency...But Mazda3 is one of most regarded fun car to drive and higher efficiency gona make it really one of few best compacts!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 10:04:05 am »
The article did not talk much about the new transmission.   Just looking at the picture I wonder if it the DSG type from the Focus that only uses one clutch but uses both sides of it.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 11:03:39 am »
I didn't realize is this engine using higher grade fuel or regular one. As well I'm not clear is this engine with timing belt? Genarally talking my point is how this engine will compete in the real life with Civic's, Corolla's and new Elantra's - all of them known as the better ones in regard of not just fuel efficiency...But Mazda3 is one of most regarded fun car to drive and higher efficiency gona make it really one of few best compacts!

Even the current 2.0 litre Mazda 3 competes very well with the cars you mentioned with respect to fuel economy. Check out real world tests at Consumer Reports. Here is another:http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_best_selling_compact_sedan_comparison/index.html

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
And for what real world drivers get
http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2011

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 11:59:03 am »
From what libraman gave as link, I can see just dry numbers for fuell effieciency. And taking under consideration both city/hwy numbers Mazda3 Touring is with worse gas mileage! This is what these technical data tables show.

Offline theonlydt

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 5 GS with the right gearbox (6spd)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 05:52:28 pm »
The new gearbox as part of SkyActiv is a 6 speed torque converter for now. Mazda claim they can make a torque converter just as efficient as a DSG style box - but probably can't afford it.

The latest I heard is that you'd need 89 for this engine at 14:1 ratio, so Mazda may wind it back slightly for the North American market to allow smooth running on 87. Japanese and Euro spec fuel is all equivalent of 89-93.

Not mentioned is that the new diesels are a low compression ratio for diesels - at 14:1. This is done for refinement reasons, as well as fuel economy. It's mildly amusing to me the battle to increase gasoline compression ratios and reduce diesel ratios.

It's a shame that Canadian and US fuel economy tests don't include stops - with the real world equivalent of traffic lights. At this point it makes sense to install a start/stop system because of the difference it makes to quoted fuel consumption - so it is installed on cars and reduces fuel consumption. With current tests it doesn't change stated fuel consumption - so there's no reason to fit it. Euro cars are fitted more and more with start/stop, including the new skyactiv madzas.

Offline oldscool

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:09 am »
Here's another site with real world fuel ratings;
http://truedelta.com/fuel_economy.php?session_code=

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:49:51 am »
I consider stop start important and wish Mazda would have it on the new engines when they come out instead of adding it later .
The new Mazda 3 optional skyactiv motor is 12 to 1 instead of 14 to 1 . This is a little disapointing to me because 14 to 1 would make the engine torquier . But these new engines will use regular gas .

The auto trans will be lighter with fewer parts to go wrong and will mate well with zoom zoom as all 3 parts of Skyactiv have been integrated together as a cohesive whole for driving enjoyment as well as effeciency . No compromises have been made imo . Some other makers auto trans focus so much to max mpg they rob the car of some driving pleasure . This won't be the case with Mazda .
I strongly suspect Mazda will be the leader in light weight construction and am most excited about the upcoming Mazda 2 in 2012 . An all new 3 is due 2015 .

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 06:39:21 am »
Some other makers auto trans focus so much to max mpg they rob the car of some driving pleasure . This won't be the case with Mazda .

When did you get to drive this car? Considering that this car is not to market yet, nobody knows how it will be.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:11:46 am »
Based on Mazdas goals they set for their Skyactiv cars . When it is tested we will all know how sucessfull they have been . Feel free to read up on Skyactiv its been covered before on this site more than once . You would have be blind not to be aware of it . I expect light weight cars that are fun to drive . For you to think otherwise would be short sighted .

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:19:42 am »
Based on Mazdas goals they set for their Skyactiv cars . When it is tested we will all know how sucessfull they have been . Feel free to read up on Skyactiv its been covered before on this site more than once . You would have be blind not to be aware of it . I expect light weight cars that are fun to drive . For you to think otherwise would be short sighted .

Based on Mazdas goals

Goals and production are two different things.

When it is tested we will all know how sucessfull they have been

Yes, when it is and if it will be....again until the car in production nobody will know.

You would have be blind not to be aware of it . I expect light weight cars that are fun to drive . For you to think otherwise would be short sighted .

Just because a car is light it does not automatically make it fun to drive.

I'm not blind and I'm well aware of what Mazda can do. Protege5 -> Mazda3 = less sporty

The Sky technology is not the next best thing in the auto world, it is just Mazda trying to not get left out in the cold in the race for your money.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:25:56 am »
For some reason, I equate what Mazda is doing with SkyActiv Technology to what Subaru's been doing with the PZEV label; ie. put a name on what many others have been doing already. It's all about marketing.

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:05 pm »
Light weight is the answer . Always has been . Mazda is so dedicated to it they shave weight off everything, even if it means only ounces on some things , knowing full well it all adds up .

Hyundai had a Mazda torn apart at their research plant to see how things were done so they could learn from it . I bet that car was the current Mazda 2 because of how Mazda shaved the weight off it . The next generation Mazda should be even lighter in relation to its size .
Everyone is shaving weight off now but Mazda is more fanatical about it , even wiring gets closely examined .
What makes Skyactiv approach appealing to me is the no compromises attitude .

I don't know about PZEV but consider Subarus too heavy for my liking due to their awd .

I don't view Skyactiv as simple marketing because of how all 3 aspects have been integrated together , not worked on independantly to achieve their goals .Thats what makes Skyactive different in my mind
and why the next generation of Mazda cars are worth waiting for . And of course they will be fun to drive , ZOOM ZOOM .
 What do you drive , love those commercials .

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »
Hyundai had a Mazda torn apart at their research plant to see how things were done so they could learn from it . I bet that car was the current Mazda 2 because of how Mazda shaved the weight off it .

Link?

I don't view Skyactiv as simple marketing because of how all 3 aspects have been integrated together , not worked on independantly to achieve their goals .Thats what makes Skyactive different in my mind
and why the next generation of Mazda cars are worth waiting for .

What 3 new aspects were they again?

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 02:59:40 pm »
Look it up , I'm not your teacher .