Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD  (Read 21447 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:43 am »

If you like the Tucson's curvy styling, you'll probably like everything else about it too, says editor, Greg Wilson.

Read More...

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:07:46 am »
The 2011 Tucson beautifully defines convoluted ugly.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:31:52 am »
Wow!....13 competitors listed at the end of the article. What's the norm...5?...6?  This sure appears to be a crowded market segment
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 07:43:20 am »
I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't like the new generation of Tucson/Sportage as much as the previous one... The new ones are much improved mechanically, no doubt about that, but in terms of appearance and design inside and out, I'd still pick my Sportage over the new ones. Good thing for me is that when we're ready to replace the Sportage, we'll want to grow in size, so really, I don't care too much that I'm not liking the new offerings too much.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12352
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:48:26 am »
With the exception of the Veracruz, I'm not overly fond of the styling of Hyundai's ?UVs.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:57:53 am »
With the exception of the Veracruz, I'm not overly fond of the styling of Hyundai's ?UVs.

Jaeger

I don't think that the Tucson is an ugly vehicle by any means however I do feel it's a little overdone and that there are better looking competitors.  The Sportage and Equinox are far better looking IMO.  The Santa Fe design seems like it's been around forever, but is not offending to the eye......or at least not to mine.  I see tons of them on the road here in southern NB.  The Veracruz is a simple but sharp looking SUV, I really like it. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:03:26 am »

Jaeger

I quite like the Santa Fe's look. It looks clean and classy to me. It's the interior of the Santa Fe that disappoints me, especially the seats that are too high, headroom is ridiculously low for such a big and tall vehicle. I hope they fix this problem when they redesign the Santa Fe, as a new Santa Fe would definitely be high on our list of vehicles to replace the Sportage.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:57 am »
Before all, I do think Hyndai deserves credit for innovation. They departure far away from initial idea of the square box a la Land Rover/G-wagen...Tere is no more contemporaryly designed vehicle than Tuscon and Rogue in this class, IMO. . Add the great mechanics and the only expected thing will be long term reliability. It needs many years to change consumer's acceptance, but considering sales, seems to me many people embraced Hyundai's new design philosophy.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:56:10 am »

Jaeger

I don't think that the Tucson is an ugly vehicle by any means however I do feel it's a little overdone and that there are better looking competitors.  The Sportage and Equinox are far better looking IMO.  The Santa Fe design seems like it's been around forever, but is not offending to the eye......or at least not to mine.  I see tons of them on the road here in southern NB.  The Veracruz is a simple but sharp looking SUV, I really like it. 

I don't find the Santa Fe design offensively bad by any stretch - it's just a bit bulbous looking to me.  Don't hate it, but like a good many others better.  Obviously the design does have broad appeal as they are EVERYWHERE.  The Veracruz is the only one that I look at and say "now THAT is really nice".

Jaeger

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:57:34 am »
The 2011 Tucson beautifully defines convoluted ugly.

I totally agree.  As with all the new Hyundai products, I much prefer the Kia counterparts.  The Sportage styling is much more appealing IMO.  The Hyundai curves and creases don't do it for me at all.  But, that's not to say that curves don't have their place, just not on cars.

Offline libraman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 10:19:36 am »
"However, a Tucson L equipped with the optional six-speed automatic is marginally more fuel efficient with city/hwy ratings of 9.1/6.5 L/100 km."

I think this statement is misleading. With respect to the reviewer, I think it would be more accurate to say that this Tucson gets better fuel efficiency numbers based on the government tests...not that it is more fuel efficient.   

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 11:45:47 am »
Just wanted to (again) raise the point that Hyundai only pairs a manual transmission with the lowest-of-the-low base model.  Yes, yes, I realize that the (vast) majority of shoppers in the CUV segment do not want a manual tranny and therefore there isn't much of a business case to be made for offering one.  But if you ARE going to do it, why would you bother with only the stripper model (and with a much less suitable 2.0L engine, no less?)  Maybe in the old days people who bought manuals did so becauase it was "cheaper", and therefore also wanted the cheapest model (ie base trim) possible.  I suspect that today most buyers who want a manual are actual car enthusiasts (or who at least appreciate the interaction between themselves and their automobile), and are willing to spend money for a higher trim level.  But I don't want to choose between a MT and all the creature comforts available on other models.  If there's no business case for offering a MT on a CUV, then fine - don't offer one (like Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, etc).  But Hyundai will say "only 1% of Tuscons sold were equipped with MT..."  Of course, because no one wants the "L" model!  (Not to mention that many dealers won't stock MT vehicles, so they are tough to find).  Hyundai/Kia has pulled this MT-on-the-stripper-model-only a number of times, most notably with the Tuscon/Sportage, Sonata/Optima, Sante Fe, and to a lesser extent with the new Elantra (only the Limited trim is auto-only).  And they are certainly not the only auto company to do so.  Thankfully all trims of the Forte/Elantra Touring can be equipped with a stick - for now.  I guess this is just a somewhat off-topic lamentation for a dying breed - SIGH.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:42 pm »
I felt the older Tucson had a bit of a tough look going for it, the new one is too soft. Lots of women buy this type of vehicle, maybe that's why there is such an influence of curvaceous new CUV's. Before I get my head bitten off here I'm not saying it isn't appealing regardless of gender, but I do notice a lot of CUV's going towards this look (CR-V, Rogue, Tucson, Sportage, etc). Smart marketing I suppose.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 12:52:38 pm »
I felt the older Tucson had a bit of a tough look going for it, the new one is too soft. Lots of women buy this type of vehicle, maybe that's why there is such an influence of curvaceous new CUV's. Before I get my head bitten off here I'm not saying it isn't appealing regardless of gender, but I do notice a lot of CUV's going towards this look (CR-V, Rogue, Tucson, Sportage, etc). Smart marketing I suppose.

That's a good point. Look at the first generations of Sportage, CR-V and X-Trail. They all looked truck-like, likely more appealing to men. With each new generation of these, they seem to become rounder and rounder, and more car-like in appearance than before. As you said, many more women buy these types of vehicles than men. I don't know.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 01:17:34 pm »
Just wanted to (again) raise the point that Hyundai only pairs a manual transmission with the lowest-of-the-low base model.  Yes, yes, I realize that the (vast) majority of shoppers in the CUV segment do not want a manual tranny and therefore there isn't much of a business case to be made for offering one.  But if you ARE going to do it, why would you bother with only the stripper model (and with a much less suitable 2.0L engine, no less?)  Maybe in the old days people who bought manuals did so becauase it was "cheaper", and therefore also wanted the cheapest model (ie base trim) possible.  I suspect that today most buyers who want a manual are actual car enthusiasts (or who at least appreciate the interaction between themselves and their automobile), and are willing to spend money for a higher trim level.  But I don't want to choose between a MT and all the creature comforts available on other models.  If there's no business case for offering a MT on a CUV, then fine - don't offer one (like Toyota, Honda, GM, Nissan, etc).  But Hyundai will say "only 1% of Tuscons sold were equipped with MT..."  Of course, because no one wants the "L" model!  (Not to mention that many dealers won't stock MT vehicles, so they are tough to find).  Hyundai/Kia has pulled this MT-on-the-stripper-model-only a number of times, most notably with the Tuscon/Sportage, Sonata/Optima, Sante Fe, and to a lesser extent with the new Elantra (only the Limited trim is auto-only).  And they are certainly not the only auto company to do so.  Thankfully all trims of the Forte/Elantra Touring can be equipped with a stick - for now.  I guess this is just a somewhat off-topic lamentation for a dying breed - SIGH.

It would be interesting to dig further into Hyundai's rationale behind this. I think Hyundai/Kia perceives the manual transmission as a cost-saving measure and don't understand the enthusiast application of said transmission, at least in most of its lineup. While the Genesis coupe comes with a manual in any trim, the vehicles you mentioned - Tucson, Sonata, Santa Fe - are all aimed at families who mostly do want autos. It also cuts down their production cost because they have less model variation. Notice also that Hyundai doesn't offer many opportunities for 'sport' upgrades on their vehicles either. I think the 'sport' pack on the Santa Fe adds a sunroof and 18" alloys - woo-hooo!

As far as I know, just about the only CUV available with a manual in upper trims is Subaru. Good thing too, that's a fun little 'ute.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
I don't mind the new  Tucson at all - though I somewhat agree with Shnak that I still prefer the looks of my Viva Edition '07 Tucson instead. Just looks more... rugged... This new one looks a little wimpy but still a great little vehicle I think. Brilliant move on making it the new 4cyl only - no real need for more than 175hp in this thing for most families and I'm sure that helps keep costs down. The leatherette with fabric inserts is very interesting - kind of addresses my issue of leather always being too hot in the summer and freezing in the winter.

Like Shnak though I'll likely be moving up to mid-size SUV next time around - if you really like the current Santa Fe - better grab one now - new one coming in a couple months!
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:49 pm »
Before all, I do think Hyndai deserves credit for innovation. They departure far away from initial idea of the square box a la Land Rover/G-wagen...Tere is no more contemporaryly designed vehicle than Tuscon and Rogue in this class, IMO. . Add the great mechanics and the only expected thing will be long term reliability. It needs many years to change consumer's acceptance, but considering sales, seems to me many people embraced Hyundai's new design philosophy.

I'm not saying that the Tuscon is a bad vehicle, but I really don't like the design (this goes for all other SUV's that have these "curvacious" designs.

I actually think the Land Rover's is the best designed Utility Vehicle in terms of practicality. It is meant to be driven off road, and for the driver to see all four corners of the vehicle. No sloping hoods, or swept up rear quarter panels, that reduce ones vision, create blind spots and in my mind just look ugly. Sometimes plain is just more beautiful then fancy. But I guess since most of these SUV's only "off road driving" will be in the driveway, I guess good visiblity doesn't matter.

You must really hate all them fancy cars with swoopy lines like all Ferraris, Lambos, Vettes, Camaros, etc.

CatsEye68

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 10:56:15 am »
I'm not saying that the Tuscon is a bad vehicle, but I really don't like the design (this goes for all other SUV's that have these "curvacious" designs.

I actually think the Land Rover's is the best designed Utility Vehicle in terms of practicality. It is meant to be driven off road, and for the driver to see all four corners of the vehicle. No sloping hoods, or swept up rear quarter panels, that reduce ones vision, create blind spots and in my mind just look ugly. Sometimes plain is just more beautiful then fancy. But I guess since most of these SUV's only "off road driving" will be in the driveway, I guess good visiblity doesn't matter.

You must really hate all them fancy cars with swoopy lines like all Ferraris, Lambos, Vettes, Camaros, etc.

Well, they are not called "Swoopy Utility Vehicles". They are supposed to be practical machines, not street versions of race cars where that sort of design may make some sense. The current Hyundai design idiom of torturing its sheetmetal to a millimeter of its life with knife-edge creases and random curves really does not contribute to a SUV's mission in life.

Not to make this thread about the Santa Fe but the current version, while at the time of introduction a welcome upgrade from the lumpy-looking original, really looks very generic and almost invisible on the streets now. I fully expect its replacement to be overdone like all other current Hyundais in terms of styling. Whether or not it replaces genericism with outright eyeball pain will be interesting. The pendulum at Hyundai design seems to swing to great extremes in either direction, seldom making a stop in the middle.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 11:08:15 am »

lol First time I have ever heard a Hyundai CUV compared to a Ferrari or Lambo!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 11:41:51 am »

lol First time I have ever heard a Hyundai CUV compared to a Ferrari or Lambo!

Well I HAVE heard a Mailbu compared to a Maserati....

Jaeger