Author Topic: Auto Tech: Modern braking systems  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Modern braking systems
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:37 am »
Automobile braking systems have become complex yet few of us give any thought to them not working, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.  'Fortunately, brake systems are very reliable and stop us in ways that are safer than ever before.'
Read More...

Roy

Re: Auto Tech: Modern braking systems
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:30 am »
Good article.

A good follow-up would be a review of limited slip differentials and new 'torque-vectoring' technology, how the 2 systems are similar/different and how they may use modern brake systems.

Altima SE R

Re: Auto Tech: Modern braking systems
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:51:14 pm »
Funny this article was posted right at the time I experienced a complete brake failure on my 05 Nissan Altima 3.5.

It seems the vacuum tube (a valve inside it) freezes in extreme temperatures (-25 C) which prevents the brakes from working... the brake pedal itself was stiff and could not be depressed. I nearly went through a stop sign but did manage to stop using the parking brake. I sat for a few minutes and the pedal finally loosened up and I was good to go.

I checked a popular Nissan forum and it appears to be common with extreme cold.... the newer OEM replacement part takes care of this issue though.