Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI  (Read 32659 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI
« on: September 20, 2010, 04:08:27 am »

Both the Subaru WRX and its upscale STI sibling get significant updates for 2011: the WRX sports the STI's wider bodywork and a wider track, while the STI gets an improved suspension and added sedan bodystyle, reports Chris Chase.  

Read More...

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
Re: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 08:17:50 am »
Talk about welcomed changes! I can't decide what's more appealing: the fact that the "base" WRX has inherited the STi's aggressive exterior styling, or that the STi sedan is now only $1600 more than a loaded WRX hatch :o .

Roy

purses
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 08:48:32 am »
must look at this  , just clicks away
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 03:50:38 pm by Roy »

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
Roy, Subaru doesn't mention whether the base stereo is six-disc or not. I'm inclined to think not, because a) they'd have made a point of mentioning it, and b) the new MediaHub system allows the connection of a portable music player, which I suspect most buyers of these cars might expect, rather than a CD-changer.

To actually answer your question: I think the CD-changer is gone, but Bluetooth is standard in both the WRX and STI.
I used to work here.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:11 am »
Roy, Subaru doesn't mention whether the base stereo is six-disc or not. I'm inclined to think not, because a) they'd have made a point of mentioning it, and b) the new MediaHub system allows the connection of a portable music player, which I suspect most buyers of these cars might expect, rather than a CD-changer.

To actually answer your question: I think the CD-changer is gone, but Bluetooth is standard in both the WRX and STI.

Correct, the changer is gone and bluetooth is in.  Personally, I never really use my changer and wish I had the bluetooth

Robin

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:15:33 am »
i have a 2011wrx (sedan)...  there's no 6 disc changer... and don't care. 

It has USB/ipod connector.  I simply stick in usb in and that's it... it's in the center arm rest. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
i have a 2011wrx (sedan)...  there's no 6 disc changer... and don't care. 

It has USB/ipod connector.  I simply stick in usb in and that's it... it's in the center arm rest. 

Yeah, my 2010 WRX Limited has that and I use it a lot.  I used the Sat Radio for my 3 month trial (that went 5 months  ;D)

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:25 pm »
On my 2011 WRX I use the Bluetooth audio option to connect my iPhone to the head unit without any wires. The controls on the wheel work seamlessly. I seriously love this car.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:35:48 pm »
What a hot car - makes me want one even more...  :thumbup: to Subaru for going fully manual! I wonder if Car and Drivers "Save the Manuals" campaign has rubbed off?! :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

aknutson

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:41:06 pm »
Is that Pioneer stereo from the factory? That's terrible! Not that it matters, everything else is brilliant...would love to drive one. Unfortunately Subaru's finance rates are high, and leasing just doesn't work for me, so until I can figure out how to strike it rich I'm just an admirer  :)  which is OK with me. Nice job on Subaru's part - when I saw the new Legacy I was worried they had gone completely flacid, lol.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 01:24:48 pm »
What's a CD?  Oh, yeah, that old fashioned disc thing that I haven't used, in, about five years.  A changer seems like an odd thing to even offer...

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 02:50:26 pm »
Bring back the automatic tranny

"The WRX was offered with the option of a four-speed automatic transmission through 2010; that’s gone for 2011, leaving the standard five-speed manual as the only gearbox, a nice surprise for enthusiasts"

Not so in my wife's case and those that require hand controls.

Wife has an 07 auto with hand controls and was looking to get a new WRX in March 2011 but is sh!t out of luck and upset there is no auto. 

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 03:05:36 pm »
Bring back the automatic tranny

"The WRX was offered with the option of a four-speed automatic transmission through 2010; that’s gone for 2011, leaving the standard five-speed manual as the only gearbox, a nice surprise for enthusiasts"

Not so in my wife's case and those that require hand controls.

Wife has an 07 auto with hand controls and was looking to get a new WRX in March 2011 but is sh!t out of luck and upset there is no auto. 

The Canadian WRX was not available with an Auto last year.  For 2009 and 2010 it was available in the US with an auto and was dubbed the 'Impreza GT'.  It had the old 227HP Turbo motor still. 

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks "yuck" when I saw those photos? I know it's a great car under the surface but they really need some styling help. The thing the WRX really needed wasn't the STI's exterior but a 6 speed and some interior upgrades.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 03:48:04 pm »
Am I the only one who thinks "yuck" when I saw those photos? I know it's a great car under the surface but they really need some styling help. The thing the WRX really needed wasn't the STI's exterior but a 6 speed and some interior upgrades.

Get out of this thread MazdaSpeed 3 Man  :rofl2:

Look, it is the front end of your car  -> ;D   lol

aknutson

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:15:49 pm »

Well, I wouldn't say 'yuck', but it's far from perfect. The aggressive wide bodywork on the Impreza has made it much more attractive, but it still can't shed the bloaty looks of the c.2008 redesign. IMO, the 2005 car was the best-looking Impreza, even if the new car is superior under the skin. There really aren't many 'good-looking' sport compacts other than the typically conservative but classic lines of the GTI, and some might say the Mini Cooper S.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 04:20:35 pm »

You think the Subaru needs styling help when you're driving a Smiling Guppy faced Mazda3?   :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

As far as the STI...man, it sure is alot less appealing to me now that the plain WRX looks just like it....

IMO....they need to do something to further differentiate the STI from the WRX
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:52 pm »
As a Subaru owner, I've never been bothered by the brand's image as a 'niche' manufacturer.  But I wish they'd just decide - do they want to continue to be 'niche', or do they want to go full out 'mainstream'?  When they decide that then they can go forward with a clear brand direction in both engineering and styling instead of this flip-flop act that has been the last several model-years. 

I hear their future sport-compact (co-designed with Toyota) may not even be AWD - their goes their marketing campain. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:56 pm »

You think the Subaru needs styling help when you're driving a Smiling Guppy faced Mazda3?   :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

As far as the STI...man, it sure is alot less appealing to me now that the plain WRX looks just like it....

IMO....they need to do something to further differentiate the STI from the WRX

Mazda 3 :rofl2:

The 4 main factors that tipped the scales in the STi's favor this time were:

1. Six Speed
2. Brembo Brakes
3. DCCD
4. Handling

The styling had no weight in my decision formula.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:47 pm »

Mazda 3 :rofl2:

The 4 main factors that tipped the scales in the STi's favor this time were:

1. Six Speed
2. Brembo Brakes
3. DCCD
4. Handling

The styling had no weight in my decision formula.

I understand re: the styling.  But they should do a something to distinguish the look from the WRX....